Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Final Pitch

Description: A man struggling with quadriplegia and facing the difficulties daily find ways to overcome his struggles and to become a success.


My theme is the human ability to overcome obstacles and to fulfill one's dreams in spite of extreme difficulty.


My intent is to show a specific instance of when a human is able to overcome an obstacle which is a constant life struggle. I would like to discover what it takes to make such a strong person, and to reveal how much people are able to do if they just have the will and desire to do it.


Structure breakdown of plot:

We will see Mr. Walker talking about his past, then his accident. I will show B-roll of childhood pictures. There will be a shot of a lake and water while he describes his accident.

We will see an interview with Mr. Walker's brother who will tell us about his childhood, and maybe what it was like after Mr. Walker's accident.

We will see Mr. Walker doing some daily things such as eating while he talks about his daily struggles and what it was like after the accident.

We will see an interview with Mr. Walker's caretaker, Bob Webb, who will describe his struggles.

We will see Mr. Walker describing some of his accomplishments, first with teaching. I hope to interview him outside for this.

We will see interviews with others who were students, peers, and hopefully even teachers of Mr. Walker. They will describe how he has changed them.

We will then see Mr. Walker talking about his accomplishments with writing. I will first show him typing or writing if I can get some B-roll of him doing this. His strength is low right now, but I'm hoping he'll be able to build it up enough before my project is over. I will then show him talking, still outside. I will have him read a passage from one of his books. I have one planned out, but if he has another in mind, I will let him read that as well. But here is the passage I would like for him to read:


There were as many stories as there were hills out there and people in them, and some of them were true as the very trees growing on the hills, but others tended to grow and spread beyond themselves like roots. . . . Every man had one, some more so than others. And some harder than others that were never told, because it wouldn't be right to tell them, even if they were true as the sky above. Those were maybe the stories that mattered most, but they were the hardest ones to tell, because they were the hardest to live. And only the man knowing them had to live them, and no one else could live the story for him. That kind of story lives in the man, and he lives in it and it's what he is, and it grows in him like the veins of his heart. It'd been given to him as if a gift from God, for better or for the worst, and only God sometimes knew the real truth of them, all the way to the root of it.


Production Design Statement: My aesthetic choices will compliment the main idea in that I would like to have Mr. Walker speaking inside at first where the lighting is a little darker, then when he describes his accomplishments, I would like him to be outside when it is bright. He is staying the country right now so I think it could be particularly striking, especially if he describes his writing and the natural feel he puts into his work. I also will have others interviewed outside as they talk about how he has influenced them. I will have some interviews in offices, which will help create a professional feel and to show that he has influenced different types of people, not only students or those who are searching for what they want to do in life, but also those who already have jobs set and still need some encouragement or the motivation to do something else that they have always wanted to do. I'm very excited and interested to hear what they have to say. I will also show Mr. Walker doing some daily things like eating, typing, and hopefully writing. I'm not sure where his strength is at right now, but I'm sure in a couple of weeks I will be able to get some footage of him doing some daily activities. I intend for the interviews to be directed to the camera, and I hope to get medium-close up shots to make the interviews more personal, and to hopefully show the emotions on the interviewees' faces. For Mr. Walker, I intend to start the piece as he talks about his childhood with a close up of him to where the audience will not be able to see his chair. When he talks about his accident, I would like to reveal that he is in his chair. I will do a 2-shot of a student with her father who was a fellow colleague of Mr. Walker, so I am excited to see their interaction with one another about how he influenced both of them. I am hoping to film this one outdoors as well.


The sound in Galloway seemed good when I went, I will make sure the TV is off in his room, and that hopefully no nurses will disturb us. It is a rehabilitation center, so the nurses do come in periodically. If so, I will have to have him repeat a lot of things which could be difficult. I will figure out a time when they are the least intrusive, though. They also are pretty friendly, so I think that if I tell them I'm conducting an interview, they wouldn't disturb us. Outside, it is very natural and quiet because Galloway is in the middle of nowhere! There is only a tiny road so cars won't make too much noise at all. For the other interviews, I was hoping to meet some people at Overton Park on a more quiet day, or in their offices. I haven't been able to check the sound in the offices, but if it is too noisy there, I will try and interview them outside unless that is noisy as well! At Crichton (now Victory), I would like to do an interview in the library office. I've been in there before and it is very quiet and has good sound.



My image locations are below, and above I have noted the sound for each. The lighting is good in most locations except Galloway was a little dark but that was because I went at night. I am going in the morning next time to interview him. The outside light won't be easily controlled, but I might bring a white bounce board in case I need to control the lighting. I"ll consult Jill about what's best for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment