Wednesday, April 13, 2011

New Pitch

There are many details about my pitch below, including possible questions, photos, and a few other things.

Here are some revisions that I've come up with this week:

As for structure, I would like to start out with Mr. Walker talking about his past in close-up, then gradually move out till we see he is in a wheelchair once he describes his situation. I hope to have him briefly describe his past, how the accident happened, and how he was able to move on. I will show B-roll footage periodically while he talks with him when he was younger, the location where he grew up, and some water footage for when he talks about his accident. I'm hoping to interview his older brother who comes to visit him periodically, but if I can't then I'll have Mr. Walker describe how he got into teaching, then show interviews of his colleagues and students and their first impressions of him as a teacher. I'll cut back to him talking about his writing, how he got into it, and where his stories come from. I would like to show him doing daily activities since it is fascinating to see how he is able to eat, type, and do other things like even lift a cup! While he is talking about writing, I would like to get a shot of him typing. As of now, he doesn't have the strength for it, but I'm hoping that in a week or so he'll be able to do it. This part is optional, but he recently received his MFA and I was hoping to interview his teacher/ mentor/ advisor who helped him with this process. He is also a well-known short story writer in some circles, and is very personable so I think he might add a different perspective to this documentary, especially since he was the main person critiquing Mr. Walker's stories before they were published. After this, I would like to end the piece by asking Mr. Walker why he went into teaching and what kind of affect he was hoping to have on both students and his readers. Then, I would like to show the interviews of how he's affected those around him both through his teaching and writing, as well as just in daily life (friends, nurses, etc.)
I would like to know if I should include his recent struggle with cancer and pneumonia which has left him in the hospital for over a year. He contracted both due to his condition, but I'm not sure if this would distract from the overall message. It would definitely be another big accomplishment because he has just been emitted from the hospital when most of us didn't think he would make it. I'm not sure if it would be necessary, but I'm hoping to get some good feedback on this, as well as my overall structure and other suggestions!

3 comments:

  1. It wouldn't hurt to get the footage of him talking about his recent struggle, especially if you have to do most of the interviews in the hospital. But, I wouldn't make it central to what you want to show. That will be a challenge, how to present that information without it taking away from his accomplishments. I like how you want to open up. But, instead of him talking about his past why not establish what the theme is. That way the audience gets to know Mr. Walker before it's revealed that he's in a wheelchair. Have you thought about how you want to shoot the interviews and your b-roll? You may want to plan some of your shots, especially the interviews. That way you're not trying to remember what side you interviewed some of the people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the advice, that was really helpful!
    I might try talking to Jill today to get her advice on how I should plan my shots. I've never done a documentary before so I'm not sure what's the best way.
    I will definitely have B-roll, I figure within a week's time he might be able to be mobile again and hopefully eat on his own and such like he was doing last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your documentary is a story of hope, struggles, and accomplishments. Mr. Walker was in an accident which left him permanently disabled. Through hard work, he became a writer and did many things that most would think is impossible for him.

    I think this could be a really good story of overcoming obstacles. we see a lot of these types of stories on tv and I think it will be neat to see how you could do something different than most in your shooting and editing.
    The interviews with students and people he's affected can be very strong because it shows an outside view of Mr. Walker.
    including the fact that he just got is MFA is also a strong subject. Writing in his condition can't be easy and I know it takes a lot more work than it would an able-bodied person.
    I would suggest leaving out the part at the end about him getting sick. I think that will distract from the other main points you're trying to make.
    Interviewing the brother seems like it may not be needed, unless it will be similar to the other interviews.

    ReplyDelete